Proserv and Trendsetter engineering’s HIPPS collaboration accelerates Woodside’s Shenzi North First Oil

02/11/2023
Image of the Greater Shenzi field ©Woodside Energy

PROSERV, the global controls technology company, and Trendsetter Engineering, a specialised subsea solutions provider, have joined forces to successfully deliver their high integrity pressure protection system (HIPPS) to expedite initial production at Woodside Energy’s Shenzi extension months ahead of the targeted first oil in Q1 2024.

The collaboration between Proserv and Trendsetter, initiated through a Memorandum of Understanding in late 2021, combines Proserv’s advanced energy production control systems with Trendsetter’s cutting-edge pressure protection systems, connection systems, and manifolds. The resulting BSEE approved offering integrates Trendsetter’s HIPPS module and Proserv’s field-proven HIPPS subsea controls into a SIL 3 rated solution. This technology allows operators to safely connect a new high-pressure well to existing lower pressure infrastructure, effectively managing varying pressure regimes with a reliable, localised safety system that automatically shuts down in case of a pressure spike.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

Why? Free to subscribe, no paywall, daily business news digest.

“We are thrilled to see the successful deployment of Trendsetter’s advanced manifold, HIPPS and connector technology as part of the Shenzi North project. Trendsetter developed the critical HIPPS manifolds and supported the project through to start-up. Woodside is an outstanding operator, and we look forward to continuing our excellent working relationship with them on future projects.”
— Ron Downing, President, Trendsetter Engineering

The innovative HIPPS solution is adaptable to greenfield, brownfield, and infrastructure-led exploration, seamlessly coexisting with already installed networks. By providing essential protection safeguards, the HIPPS technology eliminates the need for time-consuming and cost-prohibitive new high-pressure rated infrastructure. It can be integrated as a “plug and play” concept, streamlining the process significantly.

Woodside’s Shenzi North expansion project received final investment approval in July 2021, and first oil was achieved from this deepwater asset only 26 months later, surpassing the initial target of Q1 2024 by five months. Situated approximately 195 km off the coast of Louisiana in the Green Canyon protraction area, the oil and gas field is majority-owned by Woodside with a 72% interest, and Repsol holds the remaining 28% stake.

The Shenzi North extension comprises two single well tiebacks, each with a dedicated HIPPS module, connecting to the existing Shenzi infrastructure. Woodside utilised the current flowlines, risers, and topside facilities, significantly enhancing the cost-effectiveness of the tieback to the Shenzi tension leg platform. Proserv’s sister company, Gilmore, based in Houston, supplied high reliability quick exhaust valves to complement the HIPPS technology innovation alongside Trendsetter.

“This is a landmark moment in our tie-up with Trendsetter as we seek to deliver best-in-class quality and advantage for customers. It has been hugely satisfying to work with Woodside and to play our part in its successful, and swift, journey to first production. Our HIPPS technology offers a highly reliable means of maximising and unlocking assets in deep waters, while taking advantage of the many gains and efficiencies from using existing infrastructure.”
— Davis Larssen, CEO, Proserv

Technician at a Proserv Facility

Proserv and Trendsetter’s HIPPS offering has gained traction among leading operators in the Gulf of Mexico, demonstrating its effectiveness in optimising deepwater projects and extending production capacity.

The collaboration between Proserv and Trendsetter, grounded in their individual market-leading expertise, exemplifies their commitment to delivering top-notch quality and advantages for customers. The HIPPS technology not only ensures reliable asset utilisation in deep waters but also maximises efficiencies by leveraging existing infrastructure.

The latest stories